Kueh Seri Muka

When I saw Doris making her Kueh Seri Muka, I can't help but to drool at it. I like this kind of kueh - glutinous rice and kaya custard. When I have a craving for such kuehs, I will buy them from a famous local nonya bakery store. However, it's not cheap to eat them, even though a small piece will be filling. Since I don't usually make such kuehs, I decided to have a hand in making this. Furthermore, I still have some leftover glutinous rice.
kueh serimuka04
I adapted the recipe from Sonia as she made it in larger quantity. It's really not difficult to make them. As I have dried blue pea flowers in the fridge, I decided to make my glutinous rice blue to give it a nice "nonya" type colour. The kueh seri muka turned out to be really good. The rice was coconuty and salty enough. The pandan coconut layer was firm, but soft and full of pandan and rich coconut taste. The difference in the texture was really good! This is definitely a keeper, and can be made for functions to impress too!

I'm extracting the recipe for my own reference.
kueh serimuka03

Recipe for Kueh Seri Muka, adapted from Nasi Lemak Lover.
Makes a 8" x 8" pan

Ingredients:

Bottom Layer
350g Glutinous rice, soaked with blue pea flowers (optional) for at least 4 hours, then drained [I soaked mine overnight]
200ml Thin Coconut Milk (100ml thick coconut + 100ml water)[I used 200ml Ayam Lite coconut milk]
1tsp salt
kueh serimuka01 kueh serimuka02
Top Layer
2 Whole eggs
130g Caster sugar
100ml Thick pandan paste + pandan water (Blend about 10 pandan leaves with water, then extract the thickest part together with the pandan water to make 100ml
400ml thin coconut milk (200ml thick coconut milk + 200ml water)[I used 200ml Kara coconut cream + 200ml Ayam Lite coconut milk]
120g All-purpose Flour
25g Tapioca Flour [I mixed tapioca & potato flour because I ran out of tapioca flour]
¼ tsp salt

Methods:

1. Bottom Layer: Steam glutinous rice with coconut milk and salt for 30 minutes. Rest for about 10 minutes, then transfer and press steamed rice onto a bottom of a 8" square pan.

2. Top Layer: In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs with sugar until sugar is dissolved. Add in pandan water, coconut milk, salt and pandan paste. Mix well.

3. Sift in flours and whisk till well combined. Strain the mixture in a saucepan and rest for 10 minutes. 

4. Cook the mixture over low heat, stirring all the time to ensure it doesn't burn until it thickens slightly. Remove from heat. 

5. Pour the mixture on top of cooked glutinous rice, smooth the top and steam over medium heat for 30 minutes (do not steam over high heat).

5.Cool completely before slicing and serving. kueh serimuka05

10 comments:

Veronica Krystle Davis said...
May 5, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Jane, I love this kueh. Just had the one made by our Malaysian Nyonya Cuisine Chef Debbie Teoh. She made this with a layer of yam. Taste really special. Your version is the one that I am more familiar with. Wish I can have some right now. Drooling.

passionbaker said...
May 5, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Wow Lucy, a layer of yam sounds intriguing! Would like to try that. Too bad you're not here, else I can pass you two pieces... Make this yourself! It's really satisfying!

busygran said...
May 5, 2012 at 3:52 PM

That's what I like about your kueh - a thicker layer of kaya and a thinner layer of glutinous rice!

passionbaker said...
May 5, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Thanks busygran. I would have prefer more glutinous rice myself actually. LOL.

quizzine said...
May 5, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Lovely kuehs! Would like to have few slices for my tea break now ;))

Passionate About Baking said...
May 5, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Thanks quizzine! Come over, I give you one.

Nasi Lemak Lover said...
May 8, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Thanks for the mentioned. This is one of my top favourite kueh, hehehe...

chunkycooky said...
May 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I made these recently too... but somehow my top layer was too soft and botton layer abit hard. But the taste is there.. so I never bother to take any pictures and blog.

passionbaker said...
May 13, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Thanks Sonia for sharing such a lovely recipe. I really love this very much. My favourite nonya kueh too!

passionbaker said...
May 13, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Oh chunkychooky. But don't be disheartened. Try again, use this recipe. This looked like foolproof!

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!