Chocolate Wassants

When I saw the Chocolate Wassants from My Little Space blog, I bookmarked it and told myself I really have to try it. That was before I went for my Beijing holiday. When I came back, she posted the recipe for chocolate paste for the Chocolate Wassants. That was even more ideal!
bread_chocwassant3
I got down to making it. Even though my chocolate wassants were not so neat and pretty, it tasted really good. Thanks to her wonderful recipe. This is a sure keeper
bread_chocwassant2
Recipe for Chocolate Wassants, modified from  My Little Space blog.
(Makes 18 mini wassants)

Chocolate Paste
(Makes approx. 375g)

Ingredients:
(A)
2 Egg whites
80g Fine sugar
50g Plain flour
10g Corn flour
2 tbsp Whole milk

(B)
150g Dark couverture chocolate buttons, melted

Method:

1. Combine ingredients (A) in a saucepan and mix well.
2. Then add melted (B) into (A) and stir to combine.
3. Simmer mixture over low flame till became thickened and turned into thick paste.
4. Once it's done, leave to cool before transferring to a (sandwich) plastic bag and flatten.
5. Keep chilled overnight.

Chocolate Wassant

Ingredients:
Starter Dough:
225g Plain flour
1 tsp Instant yeast
100g Water

- Combine all ingredients to form a dough and let to rest for an hour or till double in size (the dough is rather tough)

Main Dough:
125g Bread flour
100g Plain flour
100gm Fine sugar
1 Whole egg
60g Water
70g Unsalted butter
1 tsp Fine salt

*Homemade chocolate paste

Method:

1. Once the starter dough is ready, tear into pieces and add into main ingredients.
2. Combine all ingredients and mix to form a soft dough then let to rest for an hour or till double in size.
3. Place dough to a slightly floured working table and knead till smooth.
4. Then roll it out flat, slightly bigger than the chocolate paste.
5. Place the chocolate paste on the flat dough, and wrap dough over the paste till totally sealed.
6. Again roll wrapped dough into 9x13" size and fold into 3 sections and roll flat again, like making a pastry dough.
7. Repeat one more time and finally roll into long rectangular shape (12'x16"), then cut into triangle shape (size as desired).
bread_chocwassant1 
8. Roll each up like a swiss roll then place them onto a baking tray, again let to rest for an hour.
9. Brush on egg glaze then bake at preheated oven 180C for about 17 mins or till brown. bread_chocwassant4

13 comments:

Unknown said...
June 18, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I done this too haven't post it. Yours bun almost filled with chocolate layers. They are well done. Yes my family especially kids like it too.

Honey Bee Sweets said...
June 18, 2012 at 11:04 PM

I wanted to try this recipe too! But got this super long list of bread recipe to try, haha! Yours look very well made! Tempting.....

Rita said...
June 19, 2012 at 2:20 AM

That looks soo lovely!!
Check out my blog: http://bakingcraze.blogspot.ie/

Spencer said...
June 19, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Looks absolutely delicious! I would love to try some. I reckon it would be so tasty.

Joyce said...
June 19, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Seems like a whole lot of work needed!! But the end result must be good coz the wassants look so tempting. Feel like biting into one now..

passionbaker said...
June 19, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Thanks Rita.

passionbaker said...
June 19, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Try it Spencer! It's truly worth the efforts!

passionbaker said...
June 19, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Joyce, you're right. The end result is truly worth efforts. You've got to bake this!

Passionate About Baking said...
June 19, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Aren't they delicious? I can't get enough of one though!

Passionate About Baking said...
June 19, 2012 at 1:03 PM

HBS, put this as top of the list! You've really got to do this first! I'm sure it'll be snapped up in no time!

Kristy said...
June 20, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Hey, thanks so much for the shout out and am glad you liking the bread too. My kids love it very much and going to make them again soon. Yours look as incredibly good. Kudos!
Hope you're having a great day, dear.
Blessings
Kristy

passionbaker said...
June 20, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Hi Kristy,
Thanks for popping by. The recipe is so good, I just had to share it! I will make this again! My family loved it too! Thanks again for sharing this lovely recipe!!

chang long said...
July 20, 2012 at 11:28 AM

nice posting. thanks for sharing

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!